CAIRO, May 19 (Aswat Masriya) - Egyptian renowned footballer Mohamed Aboutrika filed on Tuesday a challenge at the administrative court against a decision to confiscate his assets.
The committee established to manage the funds of the Muslim Brotherhood had confiscated the assets of a tourism company co-founded by Aboutrika on May 7 for affiliation with the banned Muslim Brotherhood.
The committee had said in a statement shortly afterwards that the company's manager, Mohamed al-Qadi is a "leading Muslim Brotherhood figure" who is currently in custody and accused of committing anti-state hostilities and using the company's assets to fund "terrorist operations".
Another co-founder of the tourism company, Abdel Karim Fawzi, separately challenged the committee's decision to confiscate the company's assets.
In his challenge, Aboutrika denied that he belongs to the Muslim Brotherhood. He added that his partner, who is a Brotherhood member, left the company in 2013. The footballer also denied using the companies money to fund the Brotherhood.
Aboutrika had submitted a challenge to the committee against its decision. The challenge was turned down last week, prompting the footballer to vow to "resume legal procedures."
The committee's head, Ezzat Khamis said the committee confiscated all Aboutrika's belongings and bank accounts and not only the tourism company.
The committee was formed following a September 2013 court ruling which ordered banning the Brotherhood's activities in the country. The ruling stipulated banning the activities of any association that branches from the Brotherhood, that was founded by Brotherhood funds or that receives any form of support from the Brotherhood.
Egypt listed the Brotherhood as a terrorist organisation in December 2013 and insists it is behind the stringent wave of militancy which has targeted security personnel since the ouster of former Islamist President Mohamed Mursi. The Brotherhood continuously denies the accusations.